Middletown Convenience Center
Middletown Scales location will be closed for site improvements Jan. 15 through Jan. 22. Please use the facility located at Double Toll Gate, Stonewall Jackson Highway/Route 522 South near Dinosaur Land for trash and recycling services.
Recycling is easy and makes a ton of difference.
Frederick County Residents are encouraged to reduce their trash generation, recycle, reuse, compost yard waste and buy products made of recycled-content material whenever possible. The county offers a voluntary recycling program with a total of eleven drop off stations located throughout the county. See the Citizens' Sites page for locations and hours.
Accepted for Recycling:
- clean newspapers,
- newspaper inserts
- glossy magazines,
- office paper,
- shredded paper,
- phone books, paperback books, hard cover books,
- aluminum and steel cans,
- plastic bottles and jugs,
- "Check the neck". If the neck is narrow, recycle it. Also see our brochure for what to include.
- paperboard (i.e., shoe boxes, soda cartons and cereal boxes),
- brown paper sacks (recycle with boxes or mixed paper)
- flattened corrugated cardboard boxes (except Star Tannery location),
- tires, appliances, motor oil, antifreeze and cooking oil (landfill only),
- electronics (landfill only)
- Christmas trees, (seasonal)
- shoes, handbags, belts, hats, luggage
All materials should be loose when placed into collection containers. Never include plastic bags of any type. Reuse them, recycle them at your favorite retailer or opt for reusable totes whenever possible.
Now more than ever, it is important to RECYCLE RIGHT. Find out more about how contamination or trash mixed with your recyclables threatens our program. We're sharing both a local and national news story below about the state of recycling in Frederick County and the U.S.:
Please note: Follow signage at drop-offs; put clean, loose bottles, cans, jugs, papers, into collection cans; remove and discard caps.