In April 1939, the Stephens City Volunteer Fire Company was formed. Until this time, Frederick County did not have any fire protection other than fire companies from the town of Winchester that would respond to emergencies, but at a fee. The department responded as a first responder unit for EMS calls in the 1980s, only to start EMS transports in 1990. In 1992, a station addition doubled the space of the station. Today, the station is staffed by volunteers and two career personnel who are on duty 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.
The station's apparatus includes:
- 3 ALS (Advanced Life Support) ambulances
- 2 Fire Engines
- A 100' Tower Aerial Device
- Water/ Technical Rescue