Show/Hide

For current closures/cancellations, please view our cancellations page

Millwood seal image

History

Started in January of 1958 as the Winchester Volunteer Rescue Squad, the future Millwood Station started out as the primary EMS transport station for Winchester, Frederick County and some areas in West Virginia.  As the organization continued to grow, in September of 1961 they purchased a house at 517 Millwood Avenue that would serve as their station for the next 19 years. In 1976, the Winchester Volunteer Rescue Squad upgraded their status to an Advanced Life Support agency, having some of the first shock-trauma, cardiac-tech, and paramedic level providers in the Commonwealth of Virginia.  Due to the 1979 construction of Pleasant Valley Road, the organization was forced to build a new station at 600 Millwood Avenue, at a cost of $644,000. 

After some hard decisions concerning the future of Winchester Rescue, on April 1st, 1998, the station became an affiliate of the Frederick County Fire and Rescue Department, and adopted its present name, Millwood Station Volunteer Fire and Rescue, Inc. Station 21. Groundbreaking took place in April of 2003, on a new fire station located at 250 Costello Drive, and was completed in January of 2004. The new facility has a large bay area, offices, kitchen, bunk rooms, and a separate bingo/banquet building. The station is staffed by volunteers and career personnel 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week.

The station's apparatus includes:

  • 2 ALS (Advanced Life Support) ambulances
  • A Fire Engine
  • A Rescue Engine to assist with Vehicle Accident Extrication