In 1942, Middletown Fire Company was started for the town of Middletown. The Middletown Fire Company was chartered on April 27, 1942, the second fire company in Frederick County. The action to organize a fire company was inspired by a devastating fire that year on Main Street. The blaze nearly destroyed the entire block where the Wayside Theatre and the Fire Department now stand. The Town Hall garage served as the fire station for nine years, but as the company continued to grow, in 1952 the department moved into their new building on Main Street. Rescue Operations were added in June 1952 when the company bought a 1948 International panel truck to use as its first rescue vehicle.
In the late 1960's the company adopted its present name, Middletown Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company, Inc. In its more than 50 years of service, the company has had only five chiefs and nine presidents. In 1986, Middletown Fire and Rescue was the first company in Frederick County to recognize the need to hire paid personnel to attain the quality of its daytime service. Because of Company 12's foresight, initiative and leadership, Frederick County soon established an Emergency Services Department, now known as the Frederick County Fire and Rescue Department.
The department is staffed by volunteers and two career personnel 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. The station's apparatus includes:
- 2 ALS (Advanced Life Support) ambulances
- 1 ALS "Chase" Vehicle to assist ambulances
- A Rescue Engine used for vehicle accident extrication
- An Engine/ Tanker combination unit with 2,500 gallons of water
- An Attack mini-pumper