In 1958, the people of Gainesboro, including the Ruritan Club of Gainesboro, got together to form Gainesboro Volunteer Fire Company to protect their area. Specifically, a public meeting was held at Gainesboro School on January 30, 1958 to make plans for the organization of a local fire company. The President of the Gainesboro Ruritan Club opened the meeting and explained that the Ruritan Club was interested in forming a fire company. In March 1958, the present station's location was purchased. Construction of the station soon began with members of the department donating their time and skills to build the building.
In 1986, the department added onto the original building with five more apparatus bays and social areas for its members. In 1995, Frederick County added a career firefighter/ EMT to the station to respond on its "ALS-1" chase vehicle, which assists the EMS agencies on the western side of Frederick County with Paramedic services. Today, the department is staffed by volunteers and two career personnel, 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.
The station's apparatus includes:
- 2 ALS (Advanced Life Support) ambulances
- 2 Fire Engines
- A Tower/Ladder Aerial device
- A Tanker
- An Attack mini-pumper
- A brush truck for woods/ grass fires
- A boat for water rescue
- Frederick County Fire and Rescue Department's "ALS-1"