- Permits are required for construction/business-related burning. For a Burn Permit Application, click here. Agricultural, campfires, bonfires, and small, controlled residential brush burns are allowed without a permit. However, clearance of 500 feet from occupied dwellings, forests, and streets must be maintained and the burn must be attended to at all times.
- Tents over 900 square feet require an inspection by the Fire Marshal. A permit is required through the Inspections Department (540-665-5650). Please call the Fire Marshal's Office when the tent is erected to schedule an inspection.
- Yes, please fill out this form to request a smoke alarm. Also, the Virginia Department of Health has joined forces with Frederick County Fire and Rescue Department to install FREE smoke detectors into the homes of qualifying families
- Yes, currently we have staff at four stations and at the Public Safety Building who are qualified to install car seats. We also hold car seat inspection/installation events numerous times throughout the year. Contact the office for more information.
- Incident reports fall under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act. To request a copy of a report, please fill out the request form. Forward the completed form to 1080 Coverstone Drive, Winchester, VA 22602. You may also fax the request to (540) 678-4739. Requests must be submitted in writing and specify incident information (i.e., date, location, name, etc.). If you are requesting an EMS report, include a patient authorization form signed by the patient.
- The Department has a Public Education Specialist. Events and demonstrations can be scheduled by clicking here. Please give adequate time before the event for planning
- If you have a landline (home) phone, your number is already in the database
- You can sign-up online by going to the sign-up form on this web site and following the prompts.
- Sign-up through the mail by downloading a registration form and mail it to the address listed on the form.
- To learn about becoming a firefighter with the County or of any employment openings we currently have, click here.
- Authorized public safety personnel record a voice, email or text message that is then delivered quickly to individuals in the affected area.
- For busy signals, call waiting or when there is no answer, the call will be repeated several times in an attempt to reach you. If the phone is answered by a message recorder, the message will be left on the answering device. If after several attempts the call does not successfully go through, the system will stop attempting to call.
- If an emergency situation arises that requires a notification to be sent to multiple phone numbers, we will activate the system to place a simultaneous call to all of your numbers.
- AlertFrederickCounty contains residential and commercial landline phone numbers of Frederick County's entire geographic population. In accordance with local regulations, landline numbers were acquired from the local carrier's telephone databases.
It is important and recommended that citizens provide their cell and VoIP phone numbers by registering through the AlertFrederickCounty web portal.
- Burning of brush, leaves, grass, trees and other naturally occurring material is permitted. Household trash and rubbish is not permitted. Rubber tires, asphaltic materials, used oil, or similar materials that produce dense smoke are also not permitted.
- Yes, residents whom have registered their cell phone will receive messages on their cell phone. Since there are many instances when the public may not be at home to receive an emergency message, public safety officials recommend that all residents with a cell phone add their number to the AlertFrederickCounty database.
- AlertFrederickCounty is a mass notification system used by city and county public safety organizations all over the United States to issue emergency related messages to the residents and businesses. The system has the capacity to send thousands of messages within minutes, via land-line, cell phone, TTY, email or text. Only authorized personnel are allowed access to the system.
What precautions are taken to protect personal contact information stored in the AlertFrederickCounty system?AlertFrederickCounty is a service powered by Hyper-Reach. The County of Frederick and Hyper-Reach take your privacy and security very seriously. A contract is in place that prohibits AlertFrederickCounty contact information from being shared, sold, traded, leased, or loaned to outside parties. Access to citizen contact information by County personnel is limited. Citizen provided contact information transmitted through web-portal is sent over a secure connection.
Hyper-Reach uses multiple physical and virtual layers of firewalls to maintain data security. Data is hosted in state-of-the-art facilities which require keycard and password recognition and are staffed around the clock with full time Hyper-Reach personnel.
- Frederick County has eleven (11) Volunteer stations throughout the County. Ten (10) of those stations are staffed by both volunteer and career personnel. Six (6) stations are supplemented by career staff 24-hours a day, and four (4) stations are supplemented between the hours of 6 a.m. and 4 p.m. during the week. Currently, Star Tannery is the only station without career personnel.
- The primary use of the system will be for disseminating messages pertaining to health, safety or welfare of a community that is being affected by a perceived, emerging or imminent emergency event — including weather alerts.
- Burning may occur during the hours of 7 a.m. and midnight throughout most of the year. Frederick County enforces the Virginia Spring Fire Season, which takes place February 15 through April 30 of each year. During this time, burning is allowed during the hours of 4 p.m. and midnight only.
- To locate your first due station, click here.
- Blasting of rock is the most cost-effective and time conserving method for rock excavation, mining, or quarrying operations. By improving the efficiency of the operation, the life of a construction project is shortened and the inconvenience to you is minimized