In order to qualify for tax relief, an applicant must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Either (a) at least one spouse must be 65 years old or older; OR (b) at least one spouse must be permanently and totally disabled.
- Total income including tax exempt income of ALL residents of the dwelling cannot exceed $50,000. An exclusion of the first $8500 of income is allowed for each relative other than either spouse who is living in the dwelling.
- Combined net financial worth of all residents in the dwelling cannot exceed $150,000, not including the principle residence and one acre.
- If not a first time filer, a change in income could mean a change in the amount of discount you receive each year that you are in the program.
- Applications must be filed between January 1 and April 1 of EACH YEAR that you are in the program.
- You must bring in your income and asset verification, including the first page of the prior year's federal tax return if one was filed.
- First-Time filers who are permanently/totally disabled: Please attach to your application a certification letter from two doctors or a copy of the Social Security Administration or Veteran Affairs determination letter. Also, please come in person the first time or have your application notarized before mailing.
- If you do not get 100% relief you may inquire about the deferral program. Information about the tax deferral program can be found at www.fcva.us/TD .
We will be glad to answer questions or assist you with the application form. You may either email Barbara Hummer or call our Real Estate Division at 540-722-8326. You may also stop by our offices. There is free parking behind the building.
Note: No applications will be accepted after the April 1 deadline.
|Tax Relief for the Elderly|
|Tax Relief for the Disabled|