URGENT Message from the Commissioner:
Due to the Governor’s declaration of state of emergency in the Commonwealth of Virginia in response to the continued spread of the coronavirus and for the safety of our senior citizens and disabled persons as well as staff here, please adhere below.
ATTN: Frederick County SENIOR CITIZENS and PERMANENTLY/TOTALLY DISABLED PERSONS currently in or first-time applying for REAL ESTATE TAX RELIEF
As of March 18, 2020, if you were previously in the County’s RE tax relief for senior citizens/disabled persons program for the prior year (2019), you will be automatically placed into the program for 2020 at the same rate of tax relief reduction given to you last year. You do NOT need to file or sign this year’s application, or provide any documentation. If you are applying for the first-time (new to the program), please call 540-665-5680 to provide the information over the telephone.
In order to qualify for tax relief, an applicant must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Either (a) at least one spouse must be 65 years old or older; OR (b) at least one spouse must be permanently and totally disabled.
- Total income including tax exempt income of ALL residents of the dwelling cannot exceed $50,000. An exclusion of the first $8500 of income is allowed for each relative other than either spouse who is living in the dwelling.
- Combined net financial worth of all residents in the dwelling cannot exceed $150,000, not including the principle residence and one acre.
- If not a first time filer, a change in income could mean a change in the amount of discount you receive each year that you are in the program.
- Applications must be filed between January 1 and April 1 of EACH YEAR that you are in the program.
- You must bring in your income and asset verification, including the first page of the prior year's federal tax return if one was filed.
- First-Time filers who are permanently/totally disabled: Please attach to your application a certification letter from two doctors or a copy of the Social Security Administration or Veteran Affairs determination letter. Also, please come in person the first time or have your application notarized before mailing.
- If you do not get 100% relief you may inquire about the deferral program. Information about the tax deferral program can be found at www.fcva.us/TD .
We will be glad to answer questions or assist you with the application form. You may either email Barbara Hummer or call our Real Estate Division at 540-722-8326. You may also stop by our offices. There is free parking behind the building.
Note: No applications will be accepted after the April 1 deadline.
|Tax Relief for the Elderly|
|Tax Relief for the Disabled|