Some registered voters may be eligible to vote by absentee ballot in primaries or general and special elections. Eligible citizens may vote in person at the Registrar's office prior to Election Day, or apply to have an absentee ballot mailed to them.
Absentee Voter Application Check Absentee Registration Status
- You may vote absentee if you are unable to go to the polls on Election Day because you:
- are a student or the spouse of a student attending school outside the County of Frederick
- will be away from the County of Frederick on business
- will be working and commuting to and from home for 11 or more hours between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- will be away from the County of Frederick on personal business or vacation
- are unable to go to the polls because of illness or disability
- are unable to go to the polls because of your pregnancy
- are the primary caretaker of a confined family member
- have a religious obligation
- are confined awaiting trial
- are confined having been convicted of a misdemeanor
- are an election official
- are on active duty in the military
- are the spouse or dependent residing with a member of the military
- are an overseas citizen whose most recent United States residence was in the County of Frederick
- are a law enforcement officer, firefighter, volunteer firefighter, search and rescue personnel or emergency medical services technician
- are a designated representative of candidate or party inside polls
- An absentee ballot application completed in person shall be made not earlier than 45 days before any election and not less than 3 days prior to the election in which the applicant offers to vote and completed only in the office of the local registrar in the locality in which the voter resides.
- You may request an Absentee Ballot Application by calling (540) 665-5660. You may also request an application by fax (540) 665-8976 or by email. After completing and signing the application (must have actual signature), you may mail it to the General Registrar at 107 N. Kent Street, Suite 102, Winchester, Va. 22601 or fax it to (540) 665-8976 or email it to email@example.com.
Your application must be received in the Registrar's office by 5 pm on the seventh (7th) Day before the election, in order for a ballot to be mailed to you. Applications received after this deadline must be declined and ballots will not be mailed.
Be sure to complete all information on the form, including the reason you need to vote absentee, the address where you want the ballot mailed, your full name, current residence address, and the last four digits of your social security number. The application must be signed.
After completing the application you may mail it to the General Registrar at 107 N. Kent Street, Suite 102, Winchester, Va. 22601 or fax it to us at (540) 665-8976 or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, click on the link below to download and print an absentee ballot application form.
- The Frederick County Registrar's office begins mailing ballots approximately 45 days before any election or as soon as possible after this deadline. Ballots are mailed within three business days after the absentee ballot applications are received. Please apply early enough to allow time to receive your ballot and return it by Election Day. Your application MUST be received in the Registrar's office by 5 pm on the seventh (7th) day before the election, in order for a ballot to be mailed to you. Applications received after this deadline must be declined and ballots will not be mailed. Call or e-mail us if your ballot doesn't arrive within a reasonable time.
- All absentee ballots, both in-person or by mail, are tabulated on Election Day in the Central Absentee Precinct (CAP). The County of Frederick uses paper ballots for all in person or by mail absentee voting. Instructions will be included with your ballot. They must be followed carefully in order for your ballot to be counted on Election Day.
- Information for active duty members of the armed forces and U.S. citizens living overseas can be found here.