Recycling is easy and makes a ton of difference.
Frederick County Residents are encouraged to reduce their trash generation, recycle, reuse, compost yard waste and buy products made of recycled-content material whenever possible. The county offers a voluntary recycling program with a total of eleven drop off stations located throughout the county. See the Citizens' Sites page for locations and hours.
Accepted for Recycling:
- clean newspapers,
- newspaper inserts
- glossy magazines,
- office paper,
- shredded paper,
- phone books, paperback books, hard cover books,
- aluminum and steel cans,
- plastic bottles and jugs,
- "Check the neck". If the neck is narrow, recycle it. Also see our brochure for what to include.
- paperboard (i.e., shoe boxes, soda cartons and cereal boxes),
- brown paper sacks (recycle with boxes or mixed paper)
- flattened corrugated cardboard boxes (except Star Tannery location),
- tires, motor oil, antifreeze and cooking oil (landfill only),
- electronics (landfill only)
- Christmas trees, (seasonal)
- shoes, handbags, belts, hats, luggage
- plastic bags
All materials should be loose when placed into collection containers with the exception of plastic bags and clean shrink wrap which should be condensed into a single bag. Please remove and recycle all bags and boxes used for transport.