Recycling is easy and makes a ton of difference. See our short video.
Frederick County Residents are encouraged to reduce their trash generation, recycle, reuse, compost yard waste and buy products made of recycled-content material whenever possible. The county offers a voluntary recycling program with a total of eleven drop off stations located throughout the county. See the Citizens' Sites page for locations and hours.
Accepted for Recycling
These recycling stations accept the items below. Some items are only accepted at some sites or on limited schedules. Check the information and links.
- clean newspapers,
- glossy magazines,
- office paper,
- shredded paper,
- phone books,
- glass bottles and jars separated by color (sorting information),
- aluminum and steel cans,
- "Check the neck". If the neck is narrow, recycle it. Also see our brochure for what to include.
- plastic bottles and jugs,
- paperboard (e.g., shoe boxes, soda cartons, and cereal boxes),
- brown paper sacks,
- flattened corrugated cardboard boxes (Landfill, Shawneeland, Greenwood, Albin, Middletown, Double Toll Gate, and Clear Brook sites only),
- tires, motor oil, and antifreeze (Landfill only),
- electronics (Landfill only),
- Christmas trees,
- shoes, handbags, belts, hats, luggage (all sites except Gainesboro),
- textiles (Landfill, Greenwood, Clear Brook, Albin, Double Tool Gate and Middletown only),
- plastic bags.
All materials should be loose when placed into collection containers. Please remove and recycle all bags and boxes used for transport.